Coach Bill Snyder's 16 Wildcat Goals for Success

Thanks Coach Snyder.  Enjoy retirement.

In our program, we have 16 “Wildcat Goals for Success.” We orient all that we do around these goals and reinforce them frequently. The 16 goals are:

1- Commitment—To common goals and to being successful.

2- Unselfishness—There is no ‘I’ in TEAM.

3- Unity—Come together as never before.

4- Improve—Everyday…as a player, person, and student.

5- Be Tough—Mentally and physically.

6- Self-Discipline—Do it right, don’t accept less.

7- Great Effort

8- Enthusiasm

9- Eliminate Mistakes—Don’t beat yourself up.

10- Never Give Up—Never…never…never.

11- Don’t Accept Losing—If you do so one time it will be easy to do so for the rest of your life.

12- No Self-Limitations—Expect more of yourself.

13- Expect To Win—And truly believe we will.

14- Consistency—Your very, very best every time.

15- Leadership—Everyone can set the example.

16- Responsibility—You are responsible for your own performance.


6 week update


Well first of all, if I'd known how it would really be, I would have never have done this.  I feel like I've wasted 6 weeks of my life and I'd rather have the pain of bone/bone than not being able to ride, to walk right, bend my leg enough, feeling like crap most of the time and losing a lot of extra overtime money and missed travel.  And reading about other people who have +100 degree flexion the first couple of weeks really depresses me.  The ONLY good thing is that I've lost 20 pounds (in the first 3 weeks) and have kept it off (and will hopefully lose a lot more if I can ever train again.)

Yes, I am in a pissy mood. My life is sleep in, get up and lay on the couch, go to PT 3x/week, come home and lay on the couch, go to bed.  And, this week has been the week of the trip to Hawaii that I had to cancel , so seeing all my friends' photos is killing me.  

Currently my extension is anywhere between 5-10 degrees.  We know this will be slow since I lived 6 years never fully extending my leg after my arthroscope in 2009.  That is what my former surgeon wanted and I didn't know any better.  So my current surgeon is fine with that number right now since hamstrings and calf muscles are super tight.  Working daily on stretching them.  


Current flexion is only about 90 degrees, which is behind where I should be.  I have a lot of pain in the IT band and over the fibular head and calf (one pin-point area), with "tightness" over the front of the knee.  I can drive if I scoot the seat all the way back to get in the truck then move the seat up.  The surgeon said 90-ish is ok for now and he thinks I'll get more in the next couple of weeks since it feels "springy" and not like hardened adhesions.  Keep it going and he added 4 more weeks of PT.  

Back to work full time on November 1st and ease into it by working a few hours at home for the next three weeks.  

I did get to three hockey games in the past two weeks, including a Meet the Team party and opening night Gold Carpet walk.  Last night was the first night that I've made it for the entire game, sitting in my usual seat, so that's a plus.  


I haven't been walking as much as I should, since I don't like to walk around my neighborhood (long story) and I really have a very difficult time getting off the couch or out of bed.  But tomorrow, I am going to go to the pool and try swimming.  The surgeon doesn't want to see me until December 31st and said go for it regarding swimming and walking.


15 Days Post-Op

It's been just over two weeks since surgery and I feel like I've lost about 8 days somewhere.  I ended up spending 3 nights in the hospital, starting physical therapy on the second day.  They get you up and going as soon as possible after surgery, though the nerve block in the leg needed to wear off first.  And once that wore off - PAIN!  I should have known the first day/night was too good to be true.


On Saturday afternoon, my Dad arrived and teammate Angela picked him up and they came to the hospital to get me and take me home.  I'd set up the downstairs as a sleeping area since I didn't really know how well I'd be able to do the stairs.  One minus of living in a 3-story house!  We got home and within the first 30 minutes of being  home, I proceeded to lose my lunch.  And I still can't eat much and nothing really sounds good anyway.


Nurse Dad stayed for 9 days and it was really nice to have him here, though I felt bad about him having to just sit around the house most of the time.  But he had one of his knees replaced a number of years ago, so he knows the score.


The Monday after surgery, home health care started - blood tests on Monday and Thursday (in order to monitor the blood thinner med) and physical therapy Monday through Friday. It's been two weeks of that, so starting next week, PT will drop to 3x/week and I'll be going to my usual therapist Jonathan.


Daily schedule for the past couple weeks:  get up; coffee; think about eating, but nothing sounds good; lay on sectional and try to look at Facebook, emails, etc.; physical therapy; take a nap; try to eat lunch; do a couple of hot laps around the living room and kitchen; lay on sectional and rest, usually falling asleep mid-texting or mid-email; do another round of PT with Nurse Dad; try to eat a few bites for dinner; go to bed (usually around 8-9 PM); wake up multiple times during the night.   Repeat.


Labor Day Dad flew back to Kansas, so I rode with Kathy to take him to the airport.  My first big outing, so I was wiped out afterwards. Another big outing th next day - staples came out!!!  


A few observations:  

* This surgery was quite a bit more involved than I originally thought.

* Just yesterday (2 weeks post-surgery) was the first day that i could focus enough to read a magazine. Thank goodness for reality TV where you don't have to think too much.

* Everything that I thought I might want to eat has not sounded good at all.   Or, something will taste good for a day, then make me nauseous the next day.

* Any physical exertion (even doing easy PT exercises) gives me serious cottonmouth.  Like I can barely talk.

*  There have been many days where I will just fall asleep right in the middle of whatever I was doing.

* When you don't have to go to work, all the days seem to run together.  I need a big calendar and then mark them off each morning so I know what day it is.

* Rehab is ike a job!  And sometimes even the smallest gain is cause for celebration.



3:00 A.M.

It's 3 AM and I'm wide-awake since they seem to come into my room about every hour to do something. Yesterday Kristi picked me up and drove me to the hospital. I was there early so I sat in the lobby until my scheduled time and then went to Admitting. Filled out my paperwork, got my wristband, and then teammate Paige arrived to wait with me. And wait, we did! About 55 minutes later they finally called my name and we went upstairs. I got changed, got blood pressure, temperature, pulse and all of that done, then the nurse came in to put in the IV. At that point, water seemed to burst out of my eyeballs involuntarily. I told her about my needle phobia and she said they could give me something for anxiety would have to go through the IV! The head anesthesiologist came in to explain what they were going to do and the surgeon came in to sign my leg. Then they let Paige come back and we sat some more. The resident came in and then finally the other anesthesiologist (the one who would be with me the entire time) came in and gave me the happy juice (but I didn't feel so happy). Then it was time to go. In the operating room it took three tries to get the spinal, so everyone who said it was a piece a cake and I wouldn't remember it, that was not the case! They finally got it in and the next thing I know, I was in recovery with numb legs and the inability to open my eyes. Eyelids - so heavy. But no pain. I eventually was able to wake up a little more and was finally taken up to the room. I was hungry so they got me a tray of food and what I really wanted - COFFEE! Later the resident came in and said that everything looked really good, though they had had to put me under a little more because when they started, my leg jupped. So it was a spinal plus a deeper sleep, but not general anesthesia. No PT last night since the nerve block had not yet worn off. That also means the bedpan. Lovely. Now I t's 3:00 A.M. and I'm wide awake. I'm taking the pain meds on a regular schedule (oxy every 4 hours, Toradol every 6 hours). Time to try some more sleep. I'm sure it will be a busy day ahead.

How About A New....Knee?

It's hard to believe I haven't updated this in over a year.  Very little training and even less racing to report.  The past year has been work, physical therapy, work, travel for work, sit too much, exercise not enough, and go to some hockey games.  And now, tomorrow, I face surgery to get this bum knee fixed once and for all.

Last fall involved quite a bit of travel for work, all condensed into a short time frame.  I also decided to become a 13-game season ticket holder to the Nashville Predators NHL team.  I found my new love!  They do a really nice job for customer experience and the team was good too!  In fact, I found I loved it so much, I became a full season ticket holder for this upcoming season.  



The winter again was rough - too cold for me, even a snowstorm that shut down the city, then a month later, an ice storm which again shut down the city.  Still too much work, continued physical therapy, more work travel, not enough training,  but I did get to spend half a week with the gals in the high desert of Los Angeles County.  I was unable to go last year and really missed it.  My knee was hurting a lot so I mostly did some walking and swimming.   No biking, which was a major bummer.  

After that trip, Jonathan, my PY, said he had some pretty much all he could do.  My strength was better, we'd gone from 15 degrees to about 5 degrees shy of full extension, but to make it any better, I really needed surgery and a new knee since I was bone-on-bone. He suggested seeing a non-surgical orthopedic doctor to see what he said, so I did.  He suggestion injections (no thank you), a topical creme (that gave minor relief), get fitter/thinner, and last resort - knee replacement surgery.  Not what I wanted to hear, but the same thing my ortho in SF had told me in September 2009. ("You will eventually need a knee replacement.")

May - June - first part of July - more work travel, work, some riding, a couple "races" (more of me just paying the entry and riding around), then when I saw my GP in mid-July, I told him that maybe I'd go see the ortho he suggested.   I "raced" on my birthday and could barely walk for two days.  So that's how I ended up  at Dr. Andrew Shinar's office on August 17th.

X-rays, exam, history, and admitting that I couldn't really ride my bike and that sitting or walking or standing too long really made my knee hurt, made me realize that my quality of life had gone down.  So surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, August 26th.  TKR - total knee replacement.

Not thrilled about it, but it needs to be done.  On Friday I had a major freakout session when I think everything finally hit me (and I realized that he wants to do a spinal), and I came this close to canceling the entire thing.  But I didn't.  So tomorrow I head to the hospital and in the future, back to riding the bike, walking, weights - getting back in shape.  Time to rehab and then start training for the 2016 racing schedule.

Wish me luck.

#My500Words: January 24, 2014

This would be the 24th straight day that I've written a minimum of 500 words. I'm kind of getting into the flow of it, so I've decided to take a 6-week writing course – Intro to Non-Fiction through Gotham Writers ( Time to get a little more focused.


One of the TV shows I like watching is “The Biggest Loser” and they use the Body Media device to measure how many calories they burn (with a corresponding food database to enter what you consume since it's a lot about calories in v. calories out). Since they were having a sale, I ordered one (Body Media Fit) and it came Tuesday. I've now had two full days of wearing it and you know that sitting at work for 8-10 hours a day isn't the best, but damn, seeing it in real numbers is very enlightening.


You plug in your metrics and goals and it gives you a target to hit for calorie burn and intake. Intake in via an online database so it's much easier to eat whole, real food, than to enter a long list of “ingredients”. And restaurant eating? Well, that's a guesstimate. Like last night when we went to Lucky Bamboo (off Charlotte just past White Bridge Road next to the K&S Market) for hot pot. Hot pot is a broth and then you choose what veggies and meat or fish you want and they bring it all out raw and you cook it yourself. We had chicken, beef, jumbo shrimp, and a whole table full of veggies – greens, bok choy, two kinds of mushrooms, Chinese pea shoots, Napa cabbage. Kind of hard to quantify that. But it's really good and all whole food, so I won't worry about that one meal.


Anyway, back to the Body Media. For the last two days, I've only burned 2,000 to 2,100 calories. So, I need to step up the working out. Crap, I need TO work out. It's been very cold this entire week (5F this morning). I didn't sign up for this. In fact, that's a major reason I left Kansas in 1984!! I remember when we visited in November 2011, everyone said, “Oh, winters are not that bad here. Maybe a few days of cold weather.” I call bullshit on that.


Another thing the Body Media measures is physical activity (over a certain MET) and steps. The target goal for steps is 8,000 per day. I've only hit 3,500 and 3,200 the past two days. Going from the house to the truck to work and back is a habit I need to break.


If you wear the Body Media at night, it will measure your sleep and give you an efficiency rating. That's one plus – I don't toss and turn. I get in bed, fall asleep and stay asleep until the alarm wakes me up. I just need to get another hour of sleep.


Each area further breaks down into charts, graphs, etc., such as nutrition breakdown into percentages, actual graphs of when you take the steps or have physical activity hitting the MET minimum.


So, very eye-opening. Time to swing the kettlebell.



My Best Places

Well, this isn't surprising.  Rating a number of criteria, these are the places I should be.  From Sperling's My Best Places.

They did get it wrong on 4 or 5 of them though (Minneapolis, Salt Lake, Detroit?!, Rochester, MN, Tacoma).  But #1 and #2 are spot on.

Below you'll find your BestPlaces.

1 . San Francisco , CA (see San Francisco, CA)
Econ.:  C, Housing:  C, Educ.:  A-, Health:  A
Crime:  C+, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A+

2 . Los Angeles-Long Beach , CA (see Los Angeles, CA)
Econ.:  C, Housing:  C+, Educ.:  B, Health:  B
Crime:  C+, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A+

3 . Seattle-Bellevue-Everett , WA (see Seattle, WA)
Econ.:  B, Housing:  C+, Educ.:  B-, Health:  B+
Crime:  C, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A+

4 . Chicago , IL (see Chicago, IL)
Econ.:  C+, Housing:  C+, Educ.:  B+, Health:  B+
Crime:  C-, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A+

5 . Minneapolis-St. Paul , MN-WI (see Minneapolis, MN)
Econ.:  B, Housing:  C+, Educ.:  A-, Health:  A-
Crime:  C+, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A

6 . Denver , CO (see Denver, CO)
Econ.:  B-, Housing:  B-, Educ.:  B-, Health:  B+
Crime:  B-, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A+

7 . San Diego , CA (see San Diego, CA)
Econ.:  C, Housing:  C+, Educ.:  B+, Health:  B-
Crime:  C+, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A

8 . Oakland , CA (see Oakland, CA)
Econ.:  C, Housing:  C, Educ.:  B+, Health:  C
Crime:  C-, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A

9 . San Jose , CA (see San Jose, CA)
Econ.:  C, Housing:  C, Educ.:  B+, Health:  B
Crime:  B, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  B+

10 . Orange County , CA (see Orange County, CA)
Econ.:  C+, Housing:  C, Educ.:  B, Health:  C+
Crime:  B+, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A-, Trans.:  B

11 . Dallas , TX (see Dallas, TX)
Econ.:  B, Housing:  C+, Educ.:  B-, Health:  B+
Crime:  C-, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A-

12 . Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater , FL (see Tampa, FL)
Econ.:  B, Housing:  B-, Educ.:  B, Health:  B-
Crime:  C, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A

13 . Miami , FL (see Miami, FL)
Econ.:  B-, Housing:  C, Educ.:  C, Health:  B
Crime:  C-, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A

14 . Salt Lake City-Ogden , UT (see Salt Lake City, UT)
Econ.:  C, Housing:  B-, Educ.:  B-, Health:  B-
Crime:  C+, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A-

15 . Rochester , MN (see Rochester, MN)
Econ.:  B+, Housing:  C+, Educ.:  A-, Health:  A
Crime:  A-, Recr.:  A, Culture:  A-, Trans.:  A+

16 . Houston , TX (see Houston, TX)
Econ.:  B, Housing:  C+, Educ.:  B-, Health:  C+
Crime:  C, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A-

17 . Atlanta , GA (see Atlanta, GA)
Econ.:  C+, Housing:  C+, Educ.:  B-, Health:  B-
Crime:  C-, Recr.:  A, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A+

18 . Sacramento , CA (see Sacramento, CA)
Econ.:  C, Housing:  C+, Educ.:  B, Health:  C
Crime:  C, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  B+

19 . Orlando , FL (see Orlando, FL)
Econ.:  B, Housing:  C+, Educ.:  C+, Health:  B-
Crime:  C-, Recr.:  A, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A-

20 . Detroit , MI (see Detroit, MI)
Econ.:  C+, Housing:  C, Educ.:  B-, Health:  B+
Crime:  C-, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A

21 . Cleveland-Lorain-Elyria , OH (see Cleveland, OH)
Econ.:  C, Housing:  C+, Educ.:  B-, Health:  B+
Crime:  B-, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  A

22 . Tacoma , WA (see Tacoma, WA)
Econ.:  B-, Housing:  C, Educ.:  C, Health:  C+
Crime:  C-, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  B+, Trans.:  A

23 . Riverside-San Bernardino , CA (see Riverside, CA)
Econ.:  C, Housing:  B-, Educ.:  C, Health:  C+
Crime:  C+, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  B-

24 . Boulder-Longmont , CO (see Boulder, CO)
Econ.:  B, Housing:  C+, Educ.:  B, Health:  B
Crime:  B, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  B, Trans.:  A

25 . Santa Rosa , CA (see Santa Rosa, CA)
Econ.:  C+, Housing:  C+, Educ.:  C+, Health:  C
Crime:  B, Recr.:  A+, Culture:  A+, Trans.:  B+


If the "F' word or other cursing bothers you, you might want to click away right now.
I posted the above photo on February 20th of this year.  It's taken me until today to realize (or admit to myself) that for close to a year I haven't been myself. I've been a watered down version to try an fit in. What the fuck!  I've done what others want, have gotten away from what makes me happiest and in the process have become a fat fuck and nearly wrecked my health.  Shit--sitting for 10-12 hours a day and eating shit and drinking beer will make you a fat fuck.  (Yes, x0 pounds gained = Fat Fuck.)
I realized all this today as I was suffering on a damned 20 mile ride, trying to get my fat ass up a short 7.5% hill.  I'm pissed at myself for letting this happen.  I'm pissed at the circumstances that led to all of this.  Did I mention that I'm pissed at myself for letting this happen?
But I'm over it now.  I'm at the place where I'm meant to be and there is a something learn in all of this. As Arnold said, "I be back"...leaner and faster and more kick ass than ever.   POWER. PASSION. FREEDOM. JOY.
And in the meantime, if anyone wants to race downhill.  Game on.

EMG Test

So, my hip/knee/leg has been very stiff and sore, mostly in the past couple of months from way too much work and way too much sitting. Sitting is the devil.  But the ortho wanted me to have an EMG to see if there were anything abnormal. 

From Wikipedia:

Electromyography (EMG) is a technique for evaluating and recording the electrical activity produced by skeletal muscles.[1] EMG is performed using an instrument called an electromyograph, to produce a record called anelectromyogram. An electromyograph detects the electrical potential generated by muscle cells[2] when these cells are electrically or neurologically activated. 

Doesn't sound like that big of a deal, right?  Wrong.

First of all, the doctor was quite nice and we went over the history, both from the bike crash in 2009, surgery and recent.  She then explained what she was going to do and first she did a muscle conduction test where she put some electrode things on my lower leg and then took a pointer-like thing and, well, did you ever see the very first "Lethal Weapon" movie back when Mel Gibson was very cute and not a mentally unstable raving lunatic? Remember when the bad guys hooked up Riggs (Mel) and electroshocked him?  Yes, that's about what happened. Jolts of electricity in various places on my legs, feet, knee. On both legs. 

But that was the easy part! 

Next was the EMG. She explained that she was going to insert a needle (WTF!) into my muscle, then I'd contract that muscle and she'd move the needle around. (Oh hell no.)  In four different muscles. (Double hell no.)  First was the tibialis anterior (where you get shin splints). The needle stick wasn't too bad, but it was hooked up to a machine that made all kinds of noise, like when your radio isn't tuned in and it goes, "KRRRRRRRRR".  I flexed my muscle and then she moved the needle and I about passed out. I was SWEATING and it hurt like HELL and I told her to take it out and I was finished. No way could I stand that in my calf, quad and hip flexor (!)

So the test was over and I was naseous for the next few hours. I'd rather take the pain from the injury. Needles and me do not mix.

Long Time, No Post

Not sure why.  Just haven't been in the mood.  But I'm back training and lifting and life is good!

The new Roaring Mouse Cycles shop is now open in the Presidio (end of Chrissy Field).  And the Mouse Women are front and center!  We are larger than life.  Every time I go into the shop and look at this, I just giggle.


And speaking of Mice, a new kit for 2011! 

2011 black kit 

Goals and January Totals

January Goals

* Ride 300 miles - check

* Walk 40 miles - check

* Swim 2x/week - no

* Return to yoga - check

* Read one book - check

* No beer - check

February Goals

* Follow training plan

* Ride 400 miles

* Walk 30 miles

* Limit white flour, sugar and wheat

* Continue yoga once/week

* Read one book 

* No beer 

* No Diet Pepsi

January Training Totals

Bike: 404.7 miles

Walk: 44.4 miles

Swim/Yoga/Wts/PT/Boxing: 11:05

Total Time: 42:11

6 to 8 Weeks

That's what the doctor said before my surgery. "You'll be back full training in 6-8 weeks."  Tomorrow will be 13 weeks, so I guess that was way off the mark. Of course, that was before she got in there and saw how #*@*ed my knee was. "I don't know how you functioned with it that bad." Well, you suck it up and go. Plus, it never did hurt to ride the bike. In fact, riding made it feel better. But honestly, right now I'm not so happy about the whole thing and I wish I'd never had the surgery. It doesn't hurt now to ride or with basic walking around, but the physical therapists (yes, more than one as I am frustrated and got a second and third opinion) are counseling a very conservative rehab. Those who know me know that patience is definitely not my best feature.

So there's really not a lot new to tell. I've only ridden outdoors a handful of times and nothing over 90 minutes. One time on the track for about 30 minutes in a small, warm-up gear. That felt great! The rest of the time it's been trainer or roller riding, no more than 30-40 minutes, plus some upper body weights and some quad exercises with the muscle electrical stim machine that the second PT has me doing. I can feel my fitness sailing away and it's especially frustrating when everyone else is out riding 3, 4, 5 hours or racing cyclocross and I'm not. But I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. And I've been working on cadence on the bike. I've been able to get up to 135-139 a few times for a few seconds. Now I just need to hold that longer. 

But, in the past 10 days, I've decided that I need to get walking more and since I was in Arizona for IM AZ last weekend, a lot of walking was necessary. That was a fun short vacation as I got to watch friends race and I ended up working one of the penalty tents which was a fun and sometimes frenzied way to watch the bike part of the race. Being there rekindled that Ironman bug and like Kenny and Scott both told me, never say never. 

I've also been traveling a lot for work. Usually we spread out the travel over the year, but due to the surgery, some of the trips got postponed and in October I was in Los Angeles twice and in November it was Orange County (1 day), Silicon Valley (1 day), Houston (2 days), Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia (4 days), Arizona (5 days) and finally New York (4 days). In fact, I'm writing this on United #5, wireless internet in the air! It makes the JFK-SFO trip so much more fun. I'll have been gone 17 days in November. I'm ready to stick around SF for awhile!

Here are a few photos from NYC. Thanksgiving is a great time to go as everything is so festive. I went and saw the show "Burn the Floor"....really good, very high energy, full of dancing and music. And Maks and Kym from "Dancing With the Stars" were in it. Really fun time. My co-worker Germán and I went out to a Brasilian restaurant and the food was great! Impanema Restaurant on 46th Street between Avenue of the Americas and Fifth Avenue. Very highly recommended and not expensive.


Yes, the Season is Over

I went to Colorado Springs riding the best I've ever ridden--personal best times in all events, but off the bike my left knee had been hurting for quite awhile. I'm pretty sure it all stemmed from the crash back in February, but at that time I was more banged up on the head/neck/elbow/hip and the knee never really came up. A couple of months later after physical therapy for the hip/back, the pain had seemed to go more to the knee, but never was too bad. It kind of bothered me after sitting a long time and then starting to walk, but it never bothered me on the bike. In fact, riding made it feel better! An MRI in the early summer showed a small tear of the lateral meniscus. This was not really the time to do anything with it, especially considering riding still made it feel a lot better and there was a lot of racing to do. 

Fast forward to August and the week of Masters Nationals in Colorado Springs. Lots of pain off the bike (sitting/walking), no pain on the bike. There are stairs and a tunnel that you have to go down, through and up to get to the track infield there and a week of going up and down stairs pretty much put me over the edge. Since I can't ride 24/7 (and believe me, I've tried to figure out a way!), a trip to Dr. Van Pelt (who was actually my team doctor at Arizona State University and now at St. Francis Center for Sports Medicine) and he laid out the options: (1) more physical therapy, but that hadn't worked the first time; (2) shoot up the knee with cortisone (I have a personal bias AGAINST ever doing this); or (3) go get Dr. Lewis, consult with her and schedule arthroscopic surgery. Option 3 it was and everything done within the hour.

Last Thursday was the surgery. The plan was--to the hospital by 9:45 AM, surgery scheduled for 11:15 AM, home before 5:00 PM. I got there a bit early, go checked in, got changed and onto the gurney in the Come & Go surgery area. The nurse had me sign the papers, took vitals, asked what my pain tolerance was. "For injuries and things like that, 10. For needles, ZERO."  She kind of chuckled. I told her that I wasn't kidding. It was finally time to put in the IV. The part of the day that I was ~really~ dreading. For some reason, I was under the impression that they'd numb up my hand first. Hell no! She finally got the IV in (crap that hurt!) and started the drip and it hurt more! And it hurt just to lay there! My hand and arm were frozen to my side as I was afraid to move them lest it would hurt a lot. No, I was NOT kidding about that ZERO needle pain tolerance.

After the IV went in and the nurse took my glasses, I laid there with my eyes shut since I can't see a damned thing without my glasses. Dr. Van Pelt came by to see me. The anesthesiologist came by. Dr. Lewis stopped in to write her initials on my left (surgical) knee and "NO!" on my right knee. This made me chuckle...a little. She also said that they were running behind schedule in the OR so she didn't know when we'd get going. Oh well, I had nothing better to do at this point. I told her that the knee had really been hurting a lot the past few days along the medial joint line. Finally, a really nice surgical nurse, Johnny, came to get me to take me upstairs. I told him that maybe we should stop at the bathroom first as the surgery had been delayed and I'd had an IV running through me all this time......"good idea", he said. 

We finally get to the operating room and Johnny got me all situated and the anesthesiologist came in and said he was going to give me some anti-nausea meds through the IV. YOW! CRAP THAT HURT! When the meds hit the IV line and entered my hand, it felt like someone had stabbed me. He said the next one would sting a little but I'd be out soon. Well hell! Just knock me out. So he did.

I woke up in recovery wide awake and not groggy, ready to go. This surprised me a lot as other surgeries, I'd been plenty groggy. Plus, I had virtually no pain (about a 2 on a scale of 0-10.) After spending about 30-45 minutes in the recovery room and drinking some cranberry juice, they took me back to the Come & Go unit for more juice, crackers and more laying around. Even better, they had one of the nurse's assistants run across the street to the pharmacy to pick up the pain medication so they had my bag in the recovery room so I could give him the $10 for the co-pay. Which also meant that I had my Blackberry so I amuse myself! (Though I should probably go back and review the Twitter updates I did.) Finally about 4:00 PM they called Mateo to come pick me up and he and Jasmine came and got me and brought me home. Pain level still at a 2 or less. 


Friday night @ the track. Photo by Steven Woo.

Thursday evening I was wired and I ended up staying awake until about 2:00 AM. I dutifully took the pain meds before I went to sleep (Dr. Lewis and Nurse Heidi and Nurse JohnS had all said to take them before sleeping) but I hate how they make you feel, so I got off them as soon as possible. Luckily, the pain has been almost non-existent and even with getting out and about, I have had very little pain. I can walk around short trips without crutches and can bend the knee to 90 degrees with little discomfort. The bandages came off over the weekend and now just the small bandage over the incision sites remain, covered with a saran-wrap type bandage so I can shower. Lots of laying around, icing, leg lifts and just resting over the weekend. OK, I did get out for some sunshine and bike racing.


Sunday @ Giro di San Francisco. Photo by Mateo Ortega

Prognosis? I do know that there was a small tear in the lateral meniscus (outside of knee). And that pain on the inside of my knee? That was a very large tear of the medial meniscus, which did not show up on the MRI for some reason. But that's all I know for now. Tomorrow I go in for the post-op appointment, so I'll know more then on what I can and can't do and the rehab plan and the long-term ramifications. I'm just ready to get going on rehab and get back on the bike.

Post-surgery bike

Tuesday, five days post-op. I could just barely get my leg around the pedal stroke. Photo by Heidi Larson.

RIP Steve.....


"If Today Was Your Last Day"___Nickelback

My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each days a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned
Leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride

If today was your last day
If tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday
Would you live each moment like your last
Leave old pictures in the past
Donate every dime you have
If today was your last day

Going against the grain should be a way of life
What's worth the price is always worth the fight
Every second counts cause there's no second try
So live it like you're never living twice
Don't take the free ride in your whole life

If today was your last day
If tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday
Would you live each moment like your last
Leave old pictures in the past
Donate every dime you have
And would you call old friends you never see
Reminisce old memories
Would you forgive your enemies
And would you find that one your dreaming of
Swear up and down to god above
That you'll finally fall in love
If today was your last day

If today was your last day
Would you make your mark
On ending a broken heart
You know it's never too late
To shoot for the stars
Regardless of who you are
So do whatever it takes
Cause you can't rewind
A moment in this life
Let nothing stand in your way
Cause the hands of time
Are never on your side

If today was your last day
If tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday
Would you live each moment like your last
Leave old pictures in the past
Donate every dime you have
And would you call old friends you never see
Reminisce old memories
Would you forgive your enemies
And would you find that one your dreaming of
Swear up and down to god above
That you'll finally fall in love
If today was your last day

In Search of Hit and Run Driver

We Need Your Help!
In Search of Hit and Run Driver

Reward: $11,000

Ashleigh Jackson, 24, is a member of the Alto Velo cycling team. She was riding around 5:30 p.m. Sunday April 19, 2009 when a late-model silver BMW drove up from behind and struck her on Hwy 9 and Fruitvale Avenue in Saratoga. Jackson's boyfriend, David Nelson said the car's mirror clipped Jackson and knocked her to the ground. She has suffered head trauma including bleeding into her brain. If you have any information regarding this terrible accident please contact the Saratoga Police Department immediately.

The car in question is a 2003-2005 Silver BMW 745i Passenger Side Mirror Broken/Damaged from Collision.

Matt Peterson & Kristy Gough Memorial Plaque Dedication

The City of Cupertino has graciously sponsored a permanent memorial in honor of Kristy and Matt at the site of their crash. There will be a memorial ride to the site of the plaque, followed by a brief dedication ceremony. Please join us in remembering our friends.

- Saturday, Oct 18

- 8 am ride start (recommend arriving at 7:30am)

- Ride route: Cupertino Civic Center (10350 Torre Avenue) to Stevens Canyon Road

City of Cupertino's Announcement:

Memorials to be Dedicated for Bicyclists

On Sunday, March 9, 2008, two bicyclists were tragically killed in the foothills of Cupertino. Weather permitting, on Saturday, October 18, permanent memorials will be dedicated to Kristy Gough and Matt Peterson. Please join us for this brief ceremony as we honor the memory of our friends and family who have passed.

The morning's events will begin at 8 AM with a gathering at Cupertino Civic Center. Guests will cycle up McClellan Road to Stevens Canyon Road, near the site of the accident.

Those driving by car should go directly to the memorial site, as the road will be closed to automobile traffic once the bicyclists get under way. Shortly after 9 am there will be some brief comments and an unveiling of the plaques. In words provided by their families, there is one tablet for each rider:

In Loving Memory of

Kristy Gough

November 19, 1977 - March 9, 2008


Our hearts forever inspired by

Matthew Wayne Peterson

June 4, 1978 - March 9, 2008


Matt & Kristy Memorial Dedication & Ride: October 18th

Memorials to be Dedicated for Bicyclists

On Sunday, March 9, 2008, two bicyclists were tragically killed in
the foothills of Cupertino. Weather permitting, on Saturday, October
18, permanent memorials will be dedicated to Kristy Gough and Matt
Peterson. Please join us for this brief ceremony as we honor the
memory of our friends and family who have passed.

The morning's events will begin at 8 AM with a gathering at Cupertino
Civic Center, 10350 Torre Avenue in Cupertino. Guests will cycle up
McClellan Road to Stevens Canyon Road, near the site of the accident.
Those driving by car should go directly to the memorial site, as the
road will be closed to automobile traffic once the bicyclists get
under way. Shortly after 9 am there will be some brief comments and
an unveiling of the plaques. In words provided by their families,
there is one tablet for each rider:

In Loving Memory of
Kristy Gough
November 19, 1977 - March 9, 2008

Our hearts forever inspired by
Matthew Wayne Peterson
June 4, 1978 - March 9, 2008

Please check the city web site for more detailed information as the
event gets closer.

Donations for Matt and more on the accident

From President Dave:

Chris Lane will be collecting donations in Matt's honor. Feel free to stop by the shop with a check [Roaring Mouse Cycles, 1352 Irving Street, San Francisco, CA 94122], or you send cash to [email protected] via The contributions will in turn be donated to cycling-related causes; we're still discussing what these should be. Feel free to make a donation at any time.

At Saturday's Land Park Criterium, each of the day's races will begin with a silent lap in honor of Matt & Kristy. The Third Pillar folks helped to set this up. Also, we're talking to Third Pillar about doing a memorial ride on Saturday afternoon, details still TBD. Will let you know when it's decided.

From Kristy's teammate, posted to the Hellyer Velodrome list:

To add some details perhaps not covered by the news or other sources, my teammate Kristy Gough of Third Pillar was a 31 year old triathlete and phenom just getting into road racing, where she won every race she entered since the Early Birds and quickly ascended the ranks to a 3 and on her way to 1, with the Olympic trials in sight.

12 riders set out from 92 & Canada Sunday at 9 am with two Russian coaches in a van. This is a set planned ride. The group was split into two before Foothill in Los Altos on their way to the reservoir. Four riders in the front group. Matt Peteresen of Roaring Mouse, Kristy Gough of Third Pillar, Christopher Knapp a 20 year old German rider living with a family in the US and being trained by the Russians, and Daniel Brasse of Third Pillar.

In the second group were riders coached by Dmitry Badeka and Vladimir Kaminsky of Belarus, Olympic gold medal fame and Soviet Union National Team credentials. They were following in a van, as I said, and had lopped back to the second group. You all probably have seen them out on Canada in the spring and summer on a motor scooter pacing riders.

A Santa Clara county sherriff crossed the center line and hit three riders (Matt, Kristy and Christopher) head on. Daniel had fallen back by about 10 seconds and saw it. It happened on the final road to the damn, where the lower parking lot is on your left as you ride south.

When Daniel rode up, the deputy was pacing around his car, and said: I must have fallen asleep. He had called it in so the first responders arrived quickly. He repeated that to the other deputy who arrived. Another cyclist who was a doctor rode up and also overheard this. CHP is investigating.

Many of us spent a long harrowing afternoon at Stanford as the medical team there tried to save Kristy. We lost her around 4 pm.

Please be careful out there. Check in at our web site, for more information.

Matt Petersen of Roaring Mouse was pronounced deceased at the scene. Christopher Knapp suffered a severe broken arm and leg and remains at Stanford.

We will post information on memorial rides and other commemortions as they get planned.

Just so you know, the news media and the CHP have been briefed on Daniel's testimony, but for some reason we keep hearing that the deputy administered first aid. That did not happen, nor was there much need for it.

Truly a mind altering experience for everyone.

Jeff Pallin

Damn Dude, I'm Gonna Miss You

Stuart Smith

STUART SMITH Stuart Smith, a popular swim coach for more than 20 years, died Dec. 28, unexpectedly at his Livermore home. He was 46. Over the years, Stuart coached thousands of people both young and old, beginner and elite. He had a lasting influence on their lives. He was a devoted husband and father. Stuart is preceded in death by his mother Mary Jane Smith in 2004. He is survived by his wife Sheri and son Hunter , of Livermore, his father Larry Smith, of San Ramon, sister Valerie Smith of VA, sister Laurie Moyer and her husband Paul, nephew Geoffrey and niece Victoria , all of Spokane WA, and numerous cousins. A celebration of Stuart's life will be celebrated at 1 p.m., Friday, Jan. 4, 2008, at Crosswinds Church, 6444 Sierra Court, Dublin, CA. For directions, go to Donations in Stuart's name may be sent to the Exceptional Needs Network at or P.O. Box 3149, Livermore, CA 94551. CALLAGHAN MORTUARY LIVERMORE CREMATORY 935 447-2942

Published in the Times-Herald on 1/1/2008.

Comments from friends....

Stu was this guy....

With a degree in exercise science, Cathy found a job working as an athletic trainer at a physical therapy clinic in Northern California. One day in 1987 while working at the clinic, a patient name Stuart strolled in with a really crazy looking bike with the front wheel smaller than the back wheel. Stuart explained that he was a triathlete and was trying to qualify for the Ironman in Hawaii. During the conversation, Stuart told the staff at the clinic that there was an upcoming race where you could complete it at as a team. Within the office there was a physical therapist who was a cyclist and Cathy took on the role of the swimmer. They recruited the office receptionist into training for the run and the next thing they knew, they had themselves a triathlon team.

...the guy responsible for me becoming a triathlete. And became one of my very best friends. I'm going to miss him a lot.

America On The Move - Final Numbers

If you recall, we were doing an "America On the Move" challenge at work since late October.  Prior post about Challenge

Yesterday was the last day of the challenge and I have the final numbers. They are doing a tallying of everyone's numbers and I guess we'll see how our team did (like did we win prizes!!!)

Starting baseline steps* = 8155/day

Current daily average steps* = 19,519

Total steps walked* (10/22/07 to 12/03/07) = 782,053

Total miles walked* = 391

* Includes walking and other exercise converted to steps.


Have you ever walked into someplace expecting something/someone and what/who you expected wasn't there and the place is full of people you have no idea who they are or why they are there? Am I having a bad dream? Where are my boys???

If anyone in the Bay Area knows what happened at the shop, please shoot me a message. The Cervelos and the Redline will appreciate it.

Steps and Steps and Steps

At work we have a little fitness challenge going--America On The Move, from October 22 to December 2. As part of it, they handed out pedometers and we have teams of five and you log the number of steps you take every day. We started the challenge when I was in New York for work and I've been a little surprised at how little I really walk here in SF! And if I don't walk that much, what about people who drive everywhere??? Scary.

There are also conversion steps for other sorts of exercise (thank goodness) and you can track your progress online. I'm walking the Pacific Crest Trail (south to north) and have already hit Tahoe.

My baseline for two days in NY were 9,300 and 8,400/day. The third day in NY included flying home (and some airport walking) and was 5,200, giving me an average of about 8,150 steps/day (average also includes one weight lifting session).

Here in SF, if I go to the pool, I walk to the bus, walk a few blocks from the bus drop off to the YMCA, more walking from the Y to work and then from work to the bus and from the bus drop off to home. Definitely no getting in the car in the garage, driving to where I'm going and back. So how surprised was I to find that my steps here ranged from 4,300 to 8,300 and most at the lower end! At least spinning, road riding, swimming and running pump up the totals!

Doing a little research on the internet, I found the following. I'd be interested to see what other people's numbers are.

"Since beginning America On the Move on Oct 22, 2007 you have recorded a total of 188,078 steps."

Based on the best evidence as of the end of 2003, Dr. Catrine Tudor-Locke recommends the following:

Classification of pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults:

1) Under 5000 steps/day may be used as a "sedentary lifestyle index"

2) 5,000-7,499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered "low active."

3) 7,500-9,999 likely includes some exercise or walking (and/or a job that requires more walking) and might be considered "somewhat active."

4) 10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as "active".

5) Individuals who take more than 12,500 steps/day are likely to be classified as "highly active".

Thanksgiving in Kansas

I flew out Wednesday afternoon, via Denver, and got to Kansas City at midnight. Dad and brother were there to pick me up and a 2-hour drive later, we were home. The news had railed on about airport delays and crowding, but from walking out of my office in downtown SF, to the truck and driving to the airport, parking offsite, shuttle to the terminal, checking in, going through security and walking to the gate, it was under an hour, door to gate. So I had a lot of time to chill at the gate!

Wednesday morning I did get to the gym to lift first, then went to the swim squad workout. We did 4x100 IM during our main set and I'm surprised that I was actually able to swim butterfly four times! Though I did do it with fins.

The weather in Kansas has been FABULOUS! Like someone said, global warming isn't such a good thing, but when it's 65F and sunny in November, it's not such a bad thing.

Thanksgiving day we slept in (since we'd gotten home at 2:30 AM), then it was off to my aunt and uncle's house for Thanksgiving dinner and some football watching. Chiefs beat Denver that night, which made us all very happy! Thursday was an official rest day, which I probably needed.

Yesterday I had planned to do my long run, but my brother showed up with his mountain bike for me to ride. So I did. It's a low-end Giant, no clips on the pedals or otherwise (he took the toe clips off because he didn't like them), so I rode in my tennis shoes. Fat tires, no helmet, no sunglasses, no gloves. At least I did have some DeSoto tri shorts to wear. I stuck to the road out of town and ended up riding 20.5 miles in under two hours. I was motoring pretty good on the flats, considering the set-up. I did hit 22 mph going downhill once, but with those no-clip pedals you had to be careful about your feet sliding off! I don't know how he rides it like that! And the saddle? By the last few miles, my butt bones were HURTING! But it was mostly sunny and nice weather. Tailwind going out, headwind coming back. Glad I rode.

I followed that up with a short run around the neighborhood. My left ankle had been pretty sore after the mile repeats, but yesterday's run didn't seem to bother it too much.

Long run today, for sure.


I have some pretty fabulous friends. Thanks so so much for all the emails, voicemails, comments and everything else. It's very much appreciated. Dad, bro and nephew appreciate it too.

The first time I ever flew off someplace to run a race and meet up with a bunch of people I'd only corresponded with via the internet/email (Cherry Blossom 10 miler in Washington, D.C. in 199?), she thought I was going off to meet a bunch of axe murderers or something. In 2000, she and Dad came out to San Diego to watch IM California and met "the SD Crew" and they thought it was still a little strange, but hanging out with Carol, Jean's mom, helped to make them IM-spectator experts. When I told her I'd first signed up for IM Cali, she said, "You know you're not a runner." Well, I DNFed that race and the first thing she said when she saw me was, "I hope that doesn't put you off from trying it again." And, gave me her credit card to enter for the next year.

March 2001 came and we went off to IM New Zealand, her (and Dad's) first trip outside the country (notwithstanding Canada, where they'd been a few times). After meeting Jane and Robert, Steve B., Mike, Gordo, AJ, Steve and Liza, Judy and Frank, Mom said she finally "got it"--why I traveled all over to race and meet up with friends. And, she and Dad made some great friends--Gerry and Kay. That started her IM spectating career. Two trips to New Zealand, California, Missouri x3, Kona. I'm really glad I got to share it (and you guys) with her.

New York, NY

I love New York. It's non-stop people watching for me and it never quits.

I had a good flight from Denver to La Guardia (stuck with a stop in Denver since all the direct flights were sold out or extremely expensive). I had upgraded to first class and had a window seat and the guy behind me was a German man in his 60s and his wife was in another seat in another row. After the guy next to him wouldn't change seats with the German lady, another guy offered to move, then they asked me to move and take that guy's seat. No biggie--I'm still at a window and still in first class, so OK with me. I ended up sitting next to the Asian guy who wouldn't move (Mr. "I like to get up a lot so I need an aisle seat.") Well let me tell you, DUDE ONLY GOT UP ONE DAMNED TIME! I was up front waiting for the bathroom, so was talking with the flight attendant (herself German and another Brazil lover) and she thanked me for moving seats and GAVE ME A BOTTLE OF WINE! So now I'm sitting here in the hotel drinking a fine Chilean Sauvignon Blanc. Much better than drinking a $10 glass in the hotel bar!

Got to LGA and the car service was waiting for me. Got my bag and the guy drove me into Manhattan and he had a number of questions about San Francisco and California, having never been there. Not sure where he was from, somewhere Middle East. Got to the hotel by 7:00PM and got checked in and then changed and went over to Central Park and did a 30 minute run. It's hot and steamy here, which is a very nice change from SF. Though I may be singing a different tune tomorrow when I have to run 2 hours and it's supposed to be 95F.

I'm staying at the Hudson Hotel. Small rooms, tiny TV, but excellent location at the southwest corner of the park and right across from the new Time Warner Center. The bar is a scene, I guess, but the scene will have to go on without me tonight. Need to get that run in before the Brasil-Australia match tomorrow! How about that US-Italy 1-1 tie today? Too bad I was in the air and missed it all.

Graduation Day!

My nephew (and about 270 of his classmates) walked across the stage today and received their diplomas. A packed auditorium and proud families everywhere you looked. Party at grandma and grandpa's house afterwards with a house full of people. Great day.




I did get an hour's run in this morning....HUMID!! Nice to get out and shake out the airplane stiffness. Tomorrow we leave for BRAZIL!

The Corn Gets Waxed

My pal Dave (aka Acorn) who was up for the race last weekend decided he needed his back waxed. He has very little hair on his back, but the nail place is just around the corner from my house and they do waxing, so Dave, Tim and I walked over there. They needed a bit to finish a manicure, so we walked up to the corner for an ice cream (Swensen's Ice Cream...the best, and I don't even like ice cream.) Then it was back to My Nails. Here are the pics. BIG THANKS to Tim for having a cell phone with a camera. He and I got a good laugh out of the whole experience.    ;-) 

Love ya Corn Dog.





Yes, I'm bored. Took mom and dad to the plane this morning and since I was almost to Burlingame, I just went to the pool and swam 1,500 yds. Nice and easy. Also swam yesterday morning with the squad--1,900m. Good to get back to a routine.

After the swim, I went and picked up my bike and the bike case and took the guys at City Cycle [] a couple of 6-packs for all the good work they do for me (and that they fit me in off the schedule). Showed them my finisher pics and they were thrilled for me.

After that, it was off to the grocery store to stock up on healthy food. I've eaten out pretty much every day for over two weeks, so it's time to get back on the fruits/veggies/lean protein wagon. I also need to finish up the laundry and put everything away and organized. Or, take a nap.

The Tour

Go Lance.

Last week I had a little pity party about not being at the Tour this year. It's July, I should be in France! I've been watching in the morning before I go to the poo, but man, it's not the samel. I could listen to Phil and Paul talk all day though.

Today's stage (Troyes - Nancy) goes across some really beautiful country. Jean and I had so much fun in the Champagne region. That was where I rode my first TTT, the same day as the Tour. And many a beer with our Aussie pals. TP--I hope you're having one for me! I don't miss riding in that rain though!



Thanks for all the messages of congratulations! I'm overwhelmed.

I'm back at work and they seem to have saved it all up for me, so things are crazy. Good thing this week I am just supposed to chill. Major bummer since we are having the best weather week of the entire's fabulous here!

Surgery Report

Man, that freaking hurt!

The first thing the surgeon did was to pull out a syringe with a needle at least 3 inches long!!!!!!!!!!! Right then I almost fainted dead away. Seriously. He then shot up my head which hurt like hell. After half a People magazine, he came back and I asked if all my head was supposed to be numb (it wasn't). "No, only where I am going to cut." Hmmm. I don't like that, since when the dermatologist did the scrape, it was a little tiny needle and my entire half of my head was numb.

He then spent a lot of time prepping--moist gauze over my eyes, drape over my face and head, hold onto the grounding thing, then he said he was going to start. He started to cut and I couldn't feel pain, but could feel a tugging sensation. Then he moved to a different spot and OW!!! THAT HURTS!! So he had to shoot me up with more numbing stuff. Crap! That hurts still! Another 10 minutes wait and he got back to it. I could feel something run down the side of my face and into my ear (blood??), but no pain, though a lot of tugging. He then started cauterizing tissue and CRAP--BZZZZZT--BIG PAIN! And a huge flash of pain in my left eye! I yelled out (at least it wasn't foul) and every muscle in my body went rigid. I thought I'd been electrocuted and maybe blinded. Afterwards, every time I heard the little buzz, I tensed up big time, but thankfully, no more big zaps. Lots more tugging and pulling and he was finally finished.

I guess there are a bunch of internal stitches and some external ones. Can't see any of it though as there is tape over the stitches and a bandage over that. No ANYTHING for a couple of days and no getting it wet in the shower for a few days. I specifically asked if I could run or lift weights after a day or two. His response, "You don't want to pull out the stitches, do you?" Hell no! No swimming at all while stitches are in (appt. to get them out next Monday afternoon). I'll ask him about swimming after that when I go back. No bike helmet, so no outdoor riding, since the bandage/stitches are right where the helmet sits. Maybe I'll walk a lot, drink a lot of coffee and read for a few days.

He gave me a packet of Darvocet. I walked home. He said to ice it later and it will probably bruise. It's starting to hurt now. I just took a Darvocet. I know I do NOT want to do this again.

At least I got in a ride of a little over an hour this morning before I had to go in. 13.6 miles, avg. 12.1 mph. Kept it in the small chain ring and worked on higher cadence spinning on the flats and up a few hills of the Presidio.